ARDrone.Net C# library – release next week

by Stephen Hobley on November 5, 2010

Post image for ARDrone.Net C# library – release next week

Just a quick update on the ARDrone.Net library.

Thomas Endres and Julien Vinel have been a great help in getting this library under control. We have almost everything complete (apart from the darned documentation) – so expect a release of the this code within the next seven days.

There are samples in WPF and Windows Forms, with the ability to interface to just about any kind of controller – including the WiiMote, although Thomas recommends only using this when you’ve got a lot of space to fly in :-)

It has access to the main and secondary video feeds, and we hope to add the ability to record movies and save frames, but this may well make it into a later release.

Drones are still available on Amazon

Thanks guys – you rock!

Stay tuned!

UPDATE – SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC : I’ve just been reading some of the comments on Amazon about how people have taken their drones outside only to have them fly away and never be seen again. On the surface, this seems kind of funny – but I’ve experienced the same issue with my drone. Once in a while it shoots straight up into the sky. Luckily it decided to come back down after reaching about 25′ altitude. Has anyone else experienced this?

Chida November 5, 2010 at 9:33 am

I can’t wait! wonderful news!

Vincent November 5, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Hi, Nice work!!!
You make a lot people happy with that!!

About the drone flying away, yeah it happened to me too. It just gave a ultrasone warning and went up and wouldn’t come down. It ruined my drone so bought a new one. The crash broke the CPU off the mainboard. The new one flies much better though.

beni November 9, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I’ve been following your awesome work. Im sooo excited about using the PS3 controller in windows! The Drone needs more tactile feel than the glass on the Iphone, I cant control it too well..I was raised on a PS controller its like an extra appendage

Stephen Hobley November 10, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I agree – controlling the Drone with a Logitech pad is much more sensible, and it lets others watch the video too.

We recently received an email from Parrot asking us to delay the release till they can issue a new license – we are complying with this – stay tuned…

Stephen Hobley November 10, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Wow – I didn’t realise the problems were so bad – glad to hear you worked it out.

Miguelb November 11, 2010 at 7:55 am

Do you have any estimates about the time it will take Parrot to issue the license?

Kingofl337 November 17, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I’m really excited about the sdk, is there any way you could e-mail us a copy or a link until Parrot releases the license and you publish a full release? If not, an ETA would be awesome! I wish they would release the source code for the drone itself, maybe we could fix the issues with flyway.

Mysterei July 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Any updates on this? I would love to be able to write something that would allow me to control my 2.0 from my laptop…