Download Windows control application for the AR Drone

by Stephen Hobley on November 24, 2010

Post image for Download Windows control application for the AR Drone

I recently asked Parrot if it would be OK to release a binary version of our AR Drone Windows control application.

…and they said yes it would.

So while we’re all waiting for the license on the SDK to be sorted out – here’s the control app.

Built in release mode – you might have to install some of the supplemental libraries as described in the official SDK document, but initial testing indicates not…

Click Here to Download the Rar Archive file from MediaFire

(We are not responsible for any injury, accident, or fly-away incidents that occur while using the application)

UPDATE : Looks like there are some problems with the software – after about 100 downloads about a dozen people reported that they could not connect to the drone. Till we can release debug builds and source code we cannot really provide any support for the software. Once Parrot gives us the the license we can give you all the source code, let you build your own copy and make some progress in finding out why it may not work.

The source code has been made available here.

Chida November 24, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Sorry, but after unzip and click on ARDrone.UI.exe the program crash on splash screen.
I have W7 and visual studio.
The debuger say that a problem is on ARDrone.UI.MainWindow.

Stephen Hobley November 24, 2010 at 5:50 pm

What is the nature of the problem?

Shital Shah November 24, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Thanks for writing these posts. I’m EE graduate who got drifted in software development since past 13 years and these posts sure helping me get back to my electronics passion :). Just a quick question: What oscilloscope do you use? I’m purchasing some equipments this thanksgiving and having my eye on BitScope. Just wanted to know what has worked (or not) for you so far as far as scopes are concerned because these are about the most expensive measuring instruments I would buy.

Stephen Hobley November 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Chida – I will need more information.

The MainWindow is the program itself, and so saying “there is a problem with the program” does not really give me enough to diagnose the issue.

I’ve tested the software on 4 machines (all Win 7) some with Visual Studio, some not and it runs OK.

Can I suggest that you try to get the Win32 sample running from the Parrot SDK and see if the setup for that helps you to get further along.

Until we can release the SDK itself I can’t really support the binaries.

Rik Vlaming November 25, 2010 at 5:49 am

Hi Stephen, cheers for sharing the binary. Can’t wait to start fiddling with the SDK. Just got a little issue with the program. The wifi-connection is up, the program starts just fine, but nothing happens on pressing the Startup button. When using the Win32-sample, all is fine, scaring the crap out of my collegues from behind my desk ;-)

Stephen Hobley November 25, 2010 at 9:37 am

Shital Shah – I am preparing a topic on just this subject. I own a couple of digital scopes – one is 40Khz and made by Measurement Computing, the other is a 50Mhz storage scope made by HP in the 80′s – it was a free gift.

I would recommend looking into getting one of the old analog scopes from Ebay – no one wants analog any more and they are going for a fraction of their true value. I recently bought a 350Mhz 4 channel Tektronix for about $300. I use it all the time.

Stephen Hobley November 25, 2010 at 9:39 am

A large number of people have reported problems with the drone – till we can give away the source code I can’t provide support – as soon as we get the OK from Parrot we will get all this out to you.

Then we can make some progress in working out what is wrong.

Chris November 25, 2010 at 11:17 am

Hey, nice work, but i have the connectionproblems, too.
Is the Problem perhaps the SSID from the Drone, or connect the Program with the Drone over Sochets in .Net ?
Can you tell us your Drone SSID for testing, please ?

Thanks
Chris

Frenkys November 26, 2010 at 9:24 am

Hi Stephen,
Parrot has released the new version of the license and I hope that now you can develop things that do not go.
Bye

John Kristensen November 26, 2010 at 11:41 am

Hi!
As far as I can see is the license by Parrot just been updated! Hope you can publish your. NET lib now!

1000 thanks to a fanatical job!
News source:

Frenkys November 27, 2010 at 9:32 am

Hi Stephen,
there is any problem with the new license since the source code is not published?

diRk November 29, 2010 at 10:44 am

Hey Stephen,
is there now any solution for the startup problem?
I just downloaded the new binary release from http://parrotsonjava.com/ but it didn’t work.
I am not a programmer, for that reason i need the compiled .exe ;-)
When i press startup, nothing happens. The win32 sdk demo runs great!
Do i need to install any special software on my machine?

Sorry for my bad english,

dirk

henrik bergs December 15, 2010 at 11:37 am

hi stephen
i have download the programm and i have a problem.
i can’t connect to the drone .

Jay December 22, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Hi
First.. great work!!
I want to buy one of these Ar Drones and have already downloades your Software.
Now is my question if it is possible for you to write a Software for Windows Mobile Devices.. I think your Software is running with Net. Framework which is available on Windows Mobile too.. Maybe no big Problem to make it funktional on my HTC HD2 for you ;-)
Greetz from Germany

Jay December 22, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Hi
First.. great work!!
I want to buy one of these Ar Drones and have already downloades your Software.
Greetz from Germany
Sorry for the double Posting.. maybe

The_mentor January 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Chida,
I had the same issue and i’ve installed Directx and now the program starts.
You also need the visual c++ 2008 package.
although i still cant get it to connect to the drone.
i hope you’d have better luck.

Michael February 8, 2011 at 11:21 am

Hi Stephen,
I got your app working. But I have one problem: Using a Saitek Cyborg USB . The yaw does not work although the Axis is configured. The Y axis has to be on pitch Axis instead of Z axis and Pitch does not work. That sounds stupid but I think after reading it up to 5 times you could understand. Whats wrong? Or what can I do? I am just a pilot no programm freak! Thank you very much! Regards
Micha

tylerhoot February 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm

can you uptate the app now that the sdk is now released

Juneaupilot March 5, 2011 at 2:08 am

Awesome job guys. It took me all of last weekend to figure it out, but got it working just fine with windows 7 and an old Saitek gamepad, and an even older Force Feedback 2 joystick. From time to time the Drone won’t shutdown which gets a little interesting, and the program crashed a couple of times, but all in all it works beautifully. Flew it through the cube maze at work to my boss’s office all from the laptop. Pretty cool. Thanks for all your hardwork.

Jon

Peter April 7, 2011 at 9:30 am

Hi
Have yoi fix the connection problem to the droid??
Peter

Stephen Hobley April 7, 2011 at 9:38 am

By “droid” if you mean:

(a) Android, then no we never connected to Android
(b) Drone – then yes it seems to be working rather well for 90% of users. Some people have problems still but “you can’t please all of the people all of the time.” ;-)

We moved the code to Github I would do a search for it there – Thomas Endres was looking after it the last time I looked.

Ivan June 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Hi there!
thank you for a big job done!

i’ve downloaded the source codes and try to run my drone. I couldn’t run it with the binaries you’ve provided. But when i compile the source codes in my compute – its connected well!
However there is no picture from the cameras – i couldn’t see nothing.

May be i have old firmware – what is the firmware i’ve tested with?

oxo July 7, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Hi guys.
I have a problem using the source code.
Indeed, it builds but when launching the application (in debug or release), I get the splash screen “scanning networks”…
The drone is wifi connected but the application seems not to detect the drone.

I use windows xp sp3, visual studio 2010.

Can someone helps me ?

oxo July 20, 2011 at 11:40 am

No answer ?

Stephen Hobley July 20, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I don’t keep up to date with the latest drone firmware (I actually keep mine on the version it came with) so I can’t help you with your support issue.

The code was just proof-of-concept and is not an ongoing project for me.

oxo July 21, 2011 at 10:34 am

Ok.
Thank you.

Jacob July 29, 2011 at 11:32 pm

So after you connect to the drones Wifi the app should auto start feeding information? It seems like when I conenct to the wifi of the drone it acts the same as if I wernt connected.

Dr Bob September 26, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Hi There !!
Great Program… Everything is working, But the Instruments do not any Action (??).. Everything is working GREAT !! ( Any Sugestions on getting the INSTRUMENT (Guages) to work ?? ) … They Look like they are working “OK” in the Demo-Video !!

Thanks… and Keep up the GREAT WORK !! …

From Dr Bob — W3CET@juno.com

Steven October 25, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Hello, I recently installed your AR Drone software for pc and most aspects work great. I have 2 questions regarding my installation. Whenever I go to start a video, it crashes the program. The different camera views all work and I am able to take pictures. Also, is there a way to calibrate the altimeter?

Thanks, Best program I’ve tried!

Stephen Hobley October 25, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I would track down co-author Thomas Endres – he might be able to help you…

Joe K. McKay February 1, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Can you tell me where the latest software is for your PC AR Drone Control? Thanks!

Maksim July 26, 2012 at 8:53 am

Hi Stephen,
Your wonderful program does not work with AR Drone 2. It does not work video transmission. You are planning to do an update? We are willing to pay a reasonable price.

dawnel barman December 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm

hi,m working on a quadroter as my engineering degree project,my drone uses MULTIWii FCS controlled by RC 9 channel remote but i want to make it work with a camera onboardn control via laptop with a joystick to cover a range of 1km radius and use the GUI of AR drone….can u tell me how to set up the GUI of AR drone on my quadroter……pliz do mail me back if u can solve my problm

Aleck van Deventer March 16, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I saw the AR Drone in a shop today 16 March 2013. It looks if the drone has been upgraded. If not I need to know if it will be safe to buy it. It is quite pricy in our currency.
Aleck

Sake April 7, 2013 at 5:03 am

For Windows 8:
Installed the app. And it works on my Surface and VivoTab. IT only needs controlling the AR Drone by tilting the tablet. Windows Phone 7 and 8 in the works.

ks July 31, 2013 at 10:48 am

Hi, I downloaded both the source file and the MediaFire Rar Archive File. Could you please explain to me where the MediaFile Rar Archive File is supposed to go, and what it does? Also, when I tried to run the source file, I got a pop up window titled “UserControl TestContainer”, and when I try to select a User Control, nothing happens when I click on the one I want.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Maurice December 19, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Has anyone resolved the “unable to connect” issue? I would really like to use this software to nav my drone.