DIY CO2 Laser Cutter – more test cuts…

by Stephen Hobley on October 11, 2011

Post image for DIY CO2 Laser Cutter – more test cuts…

I re-aligned the bounce mirrors, added an air-assist, and did some test cuts on acrylic, plywood and hardwood. Slowing the feedrate seems more effective than increasing the power.

Need to spend some time with different materials, figuring out the cut parameters for each one.

Oooh shiny!

TheKackler October 17, 2011 at 1:30 am

Have you been able to cut through MDF/MDO? How thick?

Stephen Hobley October 17, 2011 at 7:56 am

Only thin MDF 3mm – but I suspect the fumes are really nasty. I seriously doubt being able to cut *through* MDO at all.

Doug November 24, 2011 at 10:41 am

How’s this coming along? Any further progress to show?

Stephen Hobley November 24, 2011 at 11:23 am

Yes it is – although I’m waiting for Patrick to finish some design work.

I actually found that the best solution (for me) was to have the laser tube completely fixed and build an X Y table. This completely eliminates all the alignment errors, at the cost of taking up way more space.

Ben Parada December 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Steve,
Been reading your blog to get some pointers on CO2 laser cutter retrofit I’m working on,
I see you are running Mach3 on you laser cutter.
May I ask you how you configured Mach3 to control the laser on/off?
Was it through the spindles’ input/output signals?
Would you be kind enough to share your Mach3 parameters with a fellow “Diy-serlfer”?
Thanks in advanced and keep up the good work.
Ben

Sergey Kufaev December 26, 2011 at 6:50 am

Steve,
tell me please is it possible to cut QFN stencils with 40W china laser machine? Does it have enough resolution to cut 0.5 x 0.5 mm square holes in 0,5 mm acryl?

Stephen Hobley December 26, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Difficult to say- acrylic melts quickly and so that resolution might not be possible.

Dave D February 6, 2012 at 11:17 am

WOW,
I love your laser… I’m in the middle of building a Rockcliff CNC Model D. I would love to fabricate a laser head on to my CNC..

Can you share a little more info on your build? I would like to see more video on how your XY&Z axis move with all the mirrors attached.. Also did you make the custom cutting nozzle with the air fitting ?