MIDI and Music

The PAiA Vocoder

August 16, 2009

I just completed testing on my build of the PAiA Vocoder kit. This was a tough one, and officially I’m not done yet, as I have to get the noise reduction mod fitted and working. Here’s a video that explains a good testing strategy once completed… …and here’s a video that demonstrates what the Vocoder […]

Share
Read the full article →

Test patch for the PAiA 9700s synth

August 3, 2009

After I finished the 9700 I was looking for a way to test it as a whole. The one thing missing from the PAiA website was a test patch with a sound file, so that you can check to see if all the bits are doing what they should. I think that my synth is […]

Share
Read the full article →

Jean Michel Jarre, back on tour…

June 2, 2009

Looks like Jarre’s currently playing throughout Europe as the start of his world tour. Initial pictures indicate that he’s dropped the “keyboard” style laser harp and gone back to a vertical orientation. That means the power has to be cranked up again, and it’s back on with the oven gloves. Looks like he might have […]

Share
Read the full article →

Gated oscillator with 4093 chip

April 5, 2009

I recently came across a bunch of 4093 chips: These are Quad NAND gates, with Schmitt trigger inputs. It turns out you can use these to make oscillators and monostables – just like the 555, but more compact with less parts. So I updated the oscillator application I wrote to calculate out values using this […]

Share
Read the full article →

Musical Tesla Coils…

March 30, 2009

…and I guess I use that term lightly. I’ve been building a MIDI modulator for the DRSSTC tesla coil I put together last year. One of the problems is tuning a 555 based oscillater to match MIDI note numbers. I played around with Excel for a while, but couldn’t really get anything useful going. So […]

Share
Read the full article →

555 timer as a VCO

March 23, 2009

Taking a break from robots and lasers to work on my MIDI to DRSSTC Tesla coil adapter. (?) How cool is the 555 timer? I just discovered that by modulating the control pin (5) with a varying voltage you can alter the output frequency. Effectively a VCO – wow. (Do I sound like a geek […]

Share
Read the full article →

Arduino Shield for Laser Harp 2.0

March 19, 2009

I just got the first prototype PCB back from BatchPCB – there were a couple of errors (on my part) but the board is really well made and seems to work OK. I need to correct the silk screen layer and update the wiring for a couple of things. I might add some test points […]

Share
Read the full article →

New laser harp almost done…

March 7, 2009

Some of you have been following my rebuild diary on the laser harp… Well that’s got the hardware pretty much complete – now the difficult task of rewriting the firmware to support all the new features. But first, it’s time for a cup of tea…

Share
Read the full article →

New Laser Harp for 2009

March 4, 2009

I’ve been working away on a new version of the laser harp for 2009. The old one broke down after heavy gigging so I thought it was time to rebuild it, (we have the technology), to be better, stronger, faster than before… Built out of an old black box flight recorder – so quite a […]

Share
Read the full article →

Alien Robotic Death Machines…

January 25, 2009

Just got the Dalek dome reassembled before the weekend runs out. It’s a royal pain in the butt to put everything together and takes at least two people to do it. Uses C#, Xbee, Arduino, and Sabertooth motor controller.

Share
Read the full article →